Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Beads, Pendants, Where do you buy them?

I have been reading a lot of posts on various bead/jewelry groups on Facebook and many discussions I have read are based upon where people get their supplies. I am all about finding the best deals on pendants and beads, but since I do not make jewelry with a whole lot of sparkle and metal I find it harder to find unique beads and pendants.  I take advantage of a lot of stores in my area, but I also buy online. A lot of fellow artisans refuse to buy items from eBay or other auction sites because they feel as though it is a little sketchy.  Now, I don't disagree with those thoughts, but I do buy off eBay due to price. I have had a few duds, including an unfortunate event in which I bought a rose quartz pendant that turned out to be cut in the shape of a swastika. They had taken photos at specific angles to hide 2 of the cuts in the pendant. I saw two of them and I figured, hey, I can maybe do a little wire wrapping to dress it up a little, and hide the two cuts. Little did I know I was going to receive this:
So, eBay may hand you a couple turds every now and then, but I think overall its the best place I have found so far, price wise. I do have a few select shops on Etsy that I purchase from, but for the most part it tends to be in stores in my area and eBay.
Its hard to keep up with my bead addiction, when everything seems to be priced so high. Sites that these people have talked about being "bargain" prices are just untrue. I will not specifically name the sites, but I find it difficult to get what I want at a decent price without having to buy a bunch of the same thing. I try to maintain a one-of-a-kind jewelry setting. Some pendants I will use more than once, but I always make the patterns different and try to give it something a little extra to keep them from looking the same. 

If you are a jewelry artisan where do you get your beads from?

and if you are just a jewelry fan, do you care if someone has the same handmade piece, or would you rather have a one-of-a-kind item?


Cheers!
Jen

0 comments:

Post a Comment